TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY Arthur Tugade vowed to take steps to fix the flooding at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport after heavy rains last week clogged the drainage outside the Terminal 2.
“Titignan ho natin yan at alam ko naman na hindi palalampasin natin iyong estado na kung saan binabaha. Ito ho magpapakita lang na dapat tignan pansin yung paggawa. At kung mayroon talaga iyan, eh di solusyonan po natin,” Tugade said.
Photo from Xig Abadilla Facebook page shows the flooded terminal.
He said MCIA chief executive advisor Andrew Harrison told him the Terminal 2 is already operational. “Andrew Harrison said it is usable again by the departing passengers. It was caused by heavy rains and clogged drainage outside the terminal,” he said.
Airport operator GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation has apologized to passengers and assured that it will implement all possible remedies to control the flooding. “We apologize to all passengers for the inconvenience caused by the overflow of rainwater at the departure level link-bridge at MCIA Terminal 2. We are already taking corrective measures to rectify the situation,” it said.
GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation said it is conducting an inspection of the drainage to ensure normal outflow of water and is also looking into installing exterior blinds at the link-bridge to prevent rainwater from sipping in. “We thank everyone for their patience and understanding as we go through the transition phase to fully deliver the level of service expected of a first-world airport,” it said.
Photos of the flooded terminal – which was inaugurated June 7 by President Rodrigo Duterte – also went viral on Facebook and drew many comments from netizens. The terminal, which started operations only on July 1, is supposed to increase annual passenger capacity to 12.2 million passengers from the current 4.5 million. The 65,000 square meter Terminal 2 is designed to host international flights. (Aerol John Pateña and Luel Galarpe.)
6,312 total views, 1 views today