PAGADIAN CITY – Two pro-ISIS militants, who were part of the Maute group that laid siege on Marawi City in southern Philippines last year, have surrendered to the military as security officials urged other radical fighters to return to the fold of the law.
Capt. Clint Antipala, a spokesman for the 1st Infantry Division, said the duo also handed over a sniper rifle and an M1 rifle to the 55th Infantry Battalion during the December 3 surrender.
Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, the division commander, said the continuous surrender of Maute militants entails weakening of their organizational leadership and capabilities.
“We will continuously work together with stakeholders in order to encourage more Maute or pro-ISIS groups to surrender peacefully and return to the fold of the law,” he said.
The deadly siege lasted 5 months with security forces battling hundreds of militants in close combat that displaced over 200,000 people. Hundreds were also killed and wounded in the battle. (Mindanao Examiner)
4,393 total views, 2 views today