PAGADIAN CITY – Security officials said Wednesday that 6 pro-ISIS militants have surrendered to municipal officials in the southern Filipino province of Lanao del Sur as the military continues its anti-terror campaign in the troubled region.
Capt. Clint Antipala, a spokesman for the 1st Infantry Division, said the militants – whose identities were not disclosed – surrendered to Mayor Jamel Kurangking, of Sultan Dumalungdong town.
He said the militants, who took part in last year’s deadly siege of Marawi City, handed over a Barrett sniper rifle, three M79 grenade launchers and a Carbine rifle.
They were eventually turned over to the 49th Infantry Battalion under Lt. Col. Edgar Allan Villanueva for interrogation. “Custodial debriefing still on-going,” Antipala said.
Last week, 3 militants also surrendered in Lanao del Sur’s Masiu town and they handed over an anti-tank rocket launcher and a .45-caliber pistol. Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, the division commander, has repeatedly urged pro-ISIS fighters to surrender peacefully.
The militant group, along with other pro-ISIS fighters occupied Marawi and battled security forces for 5 months until their leaders and key commanders had been killed, but the military assault destroyed much of the city and displaced all residents there. Until now, government rehabilitation has been slow and residents continue to blame the government for Marawi’s destruction. (Mindanao Examiner)
Like Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mindanaoexaminer
Follow Us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MindanaoExamine
Read And Share Our News: https://www.mindanaoexaminer.com
Digital Archives: https://issuu.com/mindanaoexaminernewsp
4,118 total views, 2 views today