PAGADIAN CITY – Seven pro-ISIS militants have surrendered to military and turned over their weapons in southern Philippines, an army spokesman said Wednesday.
Capt. Clint Antipala, of the 1st Infantry Division, said the militants were members of the Dawlah Islamiya and Maute Group, blamed by authorities for the deadly siege in Marawi City in Lanao del Sur province last year.
He said the militants surrendered October 9 to the Joint Task Force Ranao in Lanao del Sur’s Pagayawan town. “The 55th Infantry Battalion, under the Joint Task Force Ranao, spearheaded the surrender of the group along with their firearms,” Antipala said.
The group handed over four rifles and five pistols, according to spokesman, but he did not identify those who surrendered, saying, they were being investigated. “Custodial debriefing of the group is still on-going,” he said.
Maj. Gen. Roseller Murillo, the division commander and task force chief, commended the soldiers for their efforts in the surrender of the militants.
Details of the surrender were not made available by the military. (Mindanao Examiner)
4,133 total views, 2 views today